Member, Board of Directors
Tamara was born in California and moved to Arizona in 1980 and has resided in Arizona since. Tamara started her career in education in 1992 as a preschool lead teacher and subsequently moved on to become an elementary school teacher. Tamara then took her vast knowledge and left the classroom to advocate fulltime for children and families and has been doing so since 2009. Tamara is the founder and lead advocate for Ballou Education. She has over 27 years experience in the field of education. Tamara is fluent in American Sign Language.
As a parent of a child with disabilities herself, Tamara knows first hand the rewards and challenges parents face in advocating for and meeting the education needs of a child. Tamara spends numerous hours volunteering in the community. She is the co-founder of Southeast Valley SPED Parents, Former president of Tempe Parents for the Gifted, Former board member of Defenders of Children, current member on the education advisory council for Defenders of Children, SENG (Supporting the Emotional Needs of Gifted) facilitator, Former member of Domestic Relations Committee in Arizona and leading expert in educational matters in Arizona. Tamara has served as an expert on education issues and disputes in Superior Court o f Arizona and is highly sought after in cases where education and needs of a child are in dispute. Tamara was the 2013 DOC recipient of reward for excellence in education advocacy and dedication.
Tamara is an active member of several organizations, which offer ongoing training and support in the most current changes to education law regulation and legislation.
- Member of COPAA, Council of Parents Advocates and Attorneys
- Member of International Association of Special Education (IASE)
- Member of the International Dyslexia Association
- Member of Arizona Association for Gifted and Talented
- Member of National Association for Gifted Children (NAGC)
- President of Tempe Parents for the Gifted (2007-2010)
- Representative on the DPAC committee for TPG (2007-2009)
- Co-Founder of East Valley SPED Parents since 2009
- Member of SENG (Supporting the Emotional Needs of Gifted) 2007-Present
- SENG certified training facilitator 2010-present
- Member at large Defenders of Children 2009-2010
- Advisory Council Defenders of Children 2010-present
In Tamara’s downtime she enjoys traveling. She is constantly on the go and enjoys taking her two boys on adventures and exposing them to new experiences and culture. If she’s not advocating, you will find her in some remote location vacationing and reading up on education law and studying cases as well as the ongoing changes in education.